Saturday, November 19, 2005

A Sample Good Day in Chinatown

Mom and I set out for Mott Street early, for an appointment with our famly doctor Michelle Li. During the appointment, Mom mentioned we were going for dim sum after and Dr. Li asked where. I knew I wasn't saying the right thing but I told her the truth, Dim Sum Go Go. It's not the most authentic place (no pushcarts or unidentifiable animal parts) but I really like it. Dr. Li nodded and suggested we go to a place on Elizabeth Street near Bayard but I forget the name. It's a big one and I'm sure foodies know it. I asked if Golden Unicorn was okay and she approved. I like that one, on East Broadway, too. But, if you go to Dim Sum Go Go, the winners are Chinese Parsley dumplings and mushroom ones. Each table has a little bowl of fresh ginger, one of a nice vinegar and one of a spicy fishy sauce that I'm not into.



So we got a lot of dim sum and it was $20. Then we walked around, and Mom was like a kid in a candy store. We went into the places I never notice- pharmacies and groceries and trinket shops. Then I took her to one of my other favorite places, Kam Man Department Store ("Your Gateway to Asia.") We both bought tea and a few groceries. We spent at least an hour in there. After all that we needed a break so we stopped into Green Tea House.



They have this amazing ginger black tea, that I got with milk and Mom got plain. Plus, a thing called Coconut Toast which Mom described as Chinese Angel Food Cake, but I described as White Bread with Coconut Topping. It's better than it sounds, especially dipped in the amazing tea.

We ended the day by taking the train back to Brooklyn, over the Manhattan Bridge in the middle of a gorgeous sunset. A quick trip to the Boro Hall farmer's market and then the B38 back to her place.

Try the Dim Sum Go Go and Green Tea House combination sometime. Plus a foot massage sometime when you want to treat yourself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home