Friday, November 18, 2005

Back When the Sun Shone Hot

I didn't quite have my blog in June but these are worthy pictures. We went out to Belmont Stakes to try our luck on the horses. We had whiskey and lemonade the whole way there on the train. Then we set up our blanket on the grass with all the plebians and tried to figure out how the hell to bet on horses. We studied the program and asked around for advice. But mostly we just ate snacks and drank mint juleps. We all bet on the last race. I remember I bet on Nolan's Cat and the one that won, Afleet Alex. My bet ended up being $18 and my winnings came in at...$18.10. Very satisfying.


On the way home, Sameer pretended to be selling fruit out of our cooler. Well he wasn't pretending, because he really did have fruit and was speaking in a heavy Indian accent. Sameer says in India there are fruit sellers all over the place. One person bought an apple I think.



Yes yes a trip to the races is something everyone should do at least once. (Except for compulsive gamblers- you guys stay away.) But the treatment of the horses and their short lifespans is fucked up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home