Thursday, August 11, 2005

Gates + Subway Inn = Good Day



I went to the gates with Joel Franklin (author of Take 5 letter) in the wintertime. Here's me looking very cold there. Our favorite part was how the volunteers went around with these sticks that had tennis balls on the end and unstuck any gates that got stuck on nearby trees. Sometimes they had to jump up to reach or stand on a wall. We walked all over the park and then had a drink at one of the best bars in Manhattan, the Subway Inn. It's located at 143 East 60th Street, near Lexington. Drinks are $3.50. The first time I went, I ordered a whiskey on the rocks, as per usual, and the bartender asked me if I liked it strong. When I said yes, he poured me a huge shot in a tall glass. They used to have "construction worker specials," where workers got 50 cents off their drinks but the sign is gone now. Still an excellent place with excellent deals. (There is one bartender who pours small/regular shots but don't be discouraged.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home